Sunday, March 28, 2010

Morning Trail

"Morning Trail"
6" X 6" Oil on panel
SOLD
An early morning scene that was inspired by recently viewing the works of the early California Impressionist painters in a book I have. I was fortunate to see some paintings at the Wildling Museum in Los Olivos that were on loan from the Irvine Museum. I'm sure inspiration came from that visit too. One big difference in my work compared to many of those early painters is their use of very thick paint. Seeing the works in person and getting a close up of the brush work and paint thickness was eye opening. You've really got to know exactly what you are doing and where you are going to do it with each brushstroke when painting that thick. This painting isn't in any of their styles but to me has an essence of what they were going for in their work. It's about the color, light and the mood. I think most of their work was really trying to capture the mood in California scenes more than anything. I suppose you would have to live here to look at one of their paintings and "feel" that scene coming to life as you look at it. Like they've just caught something that you have been very familiar with all of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment