Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Grey Morning Near Lompoc


"Grey Morning Near Lompoc"
12" x 16" Oil on Canvas

I've driven many times to Lompoc which is about 30 miles from here and the closest Home Depot! I live in the center of a funny triangle...Lompoc to the West, Santa Maria to the North and Santa Barbara to the South...or, Home Depot to the West, In N Out Burger to the North and art supplies to the South. Here in Solvang we have Ace Hardware, Rite Aid and a Subway Sandwich place and that's it.
Anyway...in the Winter months I see scenes like this along the highway headed for Lompoc. Very grey days and great fading-in-the-mist eucalyptus trees. Only painters like that kind of weather. This one was done alla prima in about 3 hours tonight. A very fun painting!

4 comments:

  1. I love the greys in this! The bluish grey, the greenish grey, so pretty. In N Out to the north, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine,
    Thanks for the comments on the greys. I never realized how important greys were in nature until I started painting. They really are all around us almost all of the time but most people would never even think it.
    What I wish we had were Tommy's. They are just in LA though but slowly spreading. There is an In N Out in Pasadena I was going to since back in the 60's but it was there I think in the 50's. I used to drive by their headquarters in Baldwin Park all of the time. Yummy!
    Thanks Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaa, I ALMOST mentioned Tommy's as being the best burger but didn't think you'd know of it. Of course you would. Sure wish there was one nearby, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could live on Tommy's..I've been to about 6 of them and used to work close to the original one in LA back in the 80's...guess where I ate lunch! hahaha. They now have one about 10 minutes from my parents house which is just too handy. They opened a Bob's Big Boy at about the same distance so that is also the best luck. Of course all of this was done after I moved here...120 miles away.

    ReplyDelete